Upward Over the Mountain - Best Ever!

Sam Beam (of Iron and Wine) never fails to impress. His album Creek Drank the Cradle is one of my all-time-favorites.  I'm also particularly fond of the band's live performances. Recently, I stumbled across  this performance of Upward Over the Mountain, and i just found it breathtaking . . . There is just something so earth-shattering about the beat, and so heartbreakingly sweet about the words (see lyrics below): I continue to be in awe of everything Beam does.

Listen to the music by clicking the YouTube link below! Notice the album is named for a line in the song!

Watch "iron and wine - upward over the mountain" on YouTube

"Mother don't worry, I killed the last snake that lived in the creek bed Mother don't worry, I've got some money I saved for the weekend Mother remember being so stern with that girl who was with me? Mother remember the blink of an eye when I breathed through your body?

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten Sons are like birds, flying upward over the mountain

Mother I made it up from the bruise on the floor of this prison Mother I lost it, all of the fear of the Lord I was given Mother forget me now that the creek drank the cradle you sang to Mother forgive me, I sold your car for the shoes that I gave you

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten Sons could be birds, taken broken up to the mountain

Mother don't worry, I've got a coat and some friends on the corner Mother don't worry, she's got a garden we're planting together Mother remember the night that the dog had her pups in the pantry? Blood on the floor, fleas on their paws, And you cried 'til the morning

So may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten Sons are like birds, flying always over the mountain."

Comments

Popular Posts