Join The Poetrycooker in Supporting the Make-A-Wish Foundation - Walk for Wishes


Hey guys it's The Poetrycooker, I know it's been awhile, and I promise I'll be back soon, but I want to take a minute to tell you guys about something that's been super important to me. Many of you may not know this but I am a proud, 30 year-old former Wish Kid, and this is my story…

You guys, this organization has done so much to touch me, and I will be forever indebted to the magic that they brought to one of the darker corners of my life. In it that corner is a condition called Neurofibromatosis, and in this corner was pain, self-doubt and questions. But once lit, that corner also had in it strength, grit, joy and clarity. It was up to me to light up this corner, just as it is to every sufferer to light up their own darkness and find strength in it. I guess as strange as it sounds, I am grateful for my condition because without it I wouldn’t be the strong person that I am today.

But when you are young, sometimes it is hard to see the light. At 17 - an age when most kids are feeling the darkness of self-doubt anyway, Make-a-Wish brought me that light. They brought it to my family, and because of that I feel indebted to bring that light into the corners of other children and families that are facing the heartache and doubt that comes with a child who has a terminal illness or life-threatening condition. 13 years ago when my family was contacted by Make-a-Wish, I couldn’t believe it. Surely somebody was worse off, surely somebody deserved it more. But no, I was assured that I was chosen – that my family was chosen. I knew that I wanted us to all do something together. I didn’t think there would ever be a way that I could make up for all the worry my parents experienced, for all the heartache they felt or for all the money they spent carting me around Duke University or Georgetown Hospital. I also had a much younger sister and I knew, surely, that there were times when she must have taken a backseat to my condition. This wish was as much theirs as it was mine. Realizing our shared love of the water, and of adventure (I was never babied due to my condition), I decided to wish for a Caribbean Cruise for the four of us. It was a great time – full of fun and shows and adventures. We rode a limo more than 100 miles to the airport and my sister and I flew on a plane for the first time! We went parasailing and swam with dolphins, we ate snails and lobster and drank root beer floats, and we forgot about everything else. Then I left for college. Everything was perfect. It was a perfect way to end my childhood. It was how I will always remember it.

I want to continue to bring light like this to other families. This year will mark my second time participating in the Walk for Wishes (I ran!), and I am again asking for help. To those of you who donated several years ago – thank you, thank you! You are angels. I ask that this year you challenge your friends and family to donate to Make-a-Wish through supporting me in this September’s event. I promise I will make you proud. (Link is below)

Katie's Walk for Wishes Page
(Opens in a new window)

Much Love and God Bless,

Katie

Comments

Popular Posts